Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Growing Garlic Update

So I planted my garlic cloves as you've seen in my previous post and all was going along reasonably well. The garlic was growing and I thought I'd just keep tending to it and harvest at the end of spring.

My grand father in law was over on the weekend and he was happy with my garlic BUT they he said they needed more room for the bulbs to develop. So I took the 89 year old's advice and replanted my garlic.

My garden has these awful native shrubs. Well they aren't awful, but for someone who generally only likes to grow food I can eat, it took up my growing space! So I got the saw out and started cutting back big time! I've decided I'm going to hack them all back to the trunk and grow my veg around it. Landlord can't get cross for that...I'm keeping their plants but just not letting them grow!

His advice was to plant them directly into the soil and have about a hand spand's width between each shoot. I took those tips on board, covered it with mulch and scattered some lemon slices around to keep the cats away! No joke, it's only been a couple of days and they have increased it height. :)
The new garlic patch

1 comment: