Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Growing Garlic

So here it goes, my first blog!
For a while now I've been waiting for May to come along so that I can plant my garlic :) A couple of weeks ago I headed down to a farmer's market and got myself a couple of bulbs of organic garlic for my planting. I have read that supermarket garlic may work but for my first attempt i'd thought i'd go with the good stuff!

So i'm currently renting and it's made me think harder about how I can still grow food to eat without changing the existing garden. So far I have confined most things to pots. For my garlic experiment I have reused a vegetable box from the supermarket.
Sure I would have liked to have bought a new pretty pot but I thought id be resourceful and save some money while I'm at it.

My next task was to create some great soil for my garlic. I had some potting mix but I want to mix in some nice compost. A few months ago I was given a compost bin as a present :) I thought I'd check it out and seen if I had any...i did!
Next step was to mix in this wonderful compost with my potting mix.
I then separated my cloves from the bulb.
Pointed end up I pushed them down into my soil with the help of my little one :) I covered it up with soil, sugar cane mulch and gave it a good water with some Seasol in there. Let's hope this grows into some beautiful garlic, ready for Summer!
Any tips from anyone who has successfully grown garlic would be most welcome!




No comments:

Post a Comment