Friday, May 24, 2013

Time to plant

As a busy Mum a had a million and one things to do today...house was a bombsite when I woke up so it wasn't a great start to the day. My to do list today were somewhere along the lines of dishes, cleaning rooms, washing, folding, take the kids to calesthenics, visit my grandparents and the list goes on. Somewhere in there i had my own to do list in the garden :) I was determined to get it done especially as I saw the sun shine after calesthenics! There is always so much to be done in the garden but just for today I really needed to replace my 3 basil plants that had reached the end of their season. Those 3 plants were being replaced with spinach and tarragon. I love to plant things that I can eat, sometimes you just need something pretty to look at in your garden. As I travelled through Paris I always admired the beautiful red geraniums lining the apartment balconies, so I thought I'd plant some of my own in hanging baskets.

Normally when I plant things from seedlings I tended to just use potting mix and top it up with sugar cane mulch. I would always water my plant in the pot first, then water the hole it was being planted into and once mulched I would give it one final watering to reduce stress to the plant. This method has worked reasonable well for me. As I've been reading other people's blogs I keep seeing people mixing their soil with organic matter. This is something I'm new to. I did it with my garlic but am yet to see the results. On the side of the road near my house were some bags of organic matter for sale, $2.50 a bag...bargain! I bought a couple and mixed in it with potting mix so we'll see what happens :)
My 3 basil plants in need of replacing

teeny tiny red geranium plants ready to bloom...hopefully!

hanging baskets
basil plants replaced with spinach x 2 and tarragon...never cooked with tarragon, any suggestions?


No comments:

Post a Comment